Thursday, June 9, 2011

Springtime in Alaska

Ok, so once again it has been much too long since I last posted.  There has been a lot going on in our lives and I always seem to find something else to do other than post.  I can't sleep tonight, so thought it would be a good time to catch up!

Kadlin is 7 1/2 months old now.  She is still our toothless wonder without much desire to move.  I know  I will look back on this time and wish to go back to it, but I can't wait for her to start crawling and moving.  We go walking about every day and she loves being out in her stroller.  The other day a friend and I were out and doing short bursts of sprints, and Kadlin really liked the going fast!  Her other favorite activity is to ride in her wagon that Grandma and Grandpa Humbracht got her.  She will sit in that for hourse and play with her toys while I work in the yard and flower beds.  She especially likes to ride in it while we walk over to get the mail.

Kadlin and I will be flying into Billings next week to attend my brother's wedding.  After the wedding, my parents and I are going to drive all the way back to Homer to bring up our pickup and camper.  This may turn out to be the trip from hell, but I am looking forward to spending some time with my family.  And I can't wait to be able to go camping!!

I was able to get Kadlin on a horse finally.  Well, it was a mule and I had to get led around on it and pay to do it, but fortunately they didn't make me wear a helmet.  They put one on Kadlin but it was way too big.  She looked a lot like Toadstool from Mario Bros.  She enjoyed the ride and petting WillaMae, but what she liked most was watching the big ears moving around.  It is kind of ironic that her first equine ride was a mule, considering that the joke the whole time that I was pregnant was that we were having a mule instead of a baby.  Brad says I am stubborn like a donkey and his nickname in high school was Hoss.  I am sure you get the picture :)

I had a wonderful Mother's Day and birthday in May.  Brad is so good at making my days special.  He and Kadlin got me a beautiful orchid corsage to wear for Mother's Day and he took care of me and pampered me all day long.  For my birthday, he made me a delicious German Chocolate Cake (my favorite) and got me flowers!

I have been busy getting my greenhouse set up.  It doesn't get warm enough for a long enough time during the day to have much of a garden, so most growing is done in a greenhouse.  We are fortunate enough to have one with our rental house.  I have several tomato and pepper plants, and am trying some peas and beans too. I also have a couple cucumbers and squash plants growing on the deck.  I am not sure how any of it is going to turn out.  Hopefully we will have some produce later this summer.

We finally saw our first baby moose calves, and they were just as cute as I was hoping they would be.  From what I have been told, they cows come into town to have and raise their babies as there are less bears.  It makes sense, but seems odd to see these wild babies right in the yard.

Brad has been getting some fishing in.  He went out with some friends and caught some halibut and has been working hard at getting a King Salmon out of the river.  So far he has had two bites, but no luck in landing any yet.  He is headed out again tomorrow, so hopefully he will have some better luck.  He is also going to be going out on another halibut charter in July.  He is still enjoying his job and is excited about the traveling he will get to do this summer.

Well, that pretty much sums up our lives since the last post.  We hope all is well with everyone, and as always, feel free to come visit anytime :)

Kadlin and I on Mother's Day with my beautiful corsage


Sandhill Cranes taking a stroll across our driveway

The mighty fisherman with all his gear

Kadlin and I riding WillaMae.  It is unfortunate I couldn't find a horse for her to ride, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and she had a really good time!


Sweet sleeping baby girl

My birthday cake!  And only 4 candles instead of 27, alright!!

Twin moose calves

Mama moose and her babies

No comments:

Post a Comment